Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 08:59:28 -0700

I gave up on perl.
It makes my brain hurt -- like trying to read 1970's era BASIC
code.

I concur. Perl verges on being an abomination. "Pathetically
eclectic rubbish lister" indeed!

I once (in the Perl 4 era) wrote a code generation tool in Perl,
but I no longer can even read that stuff.

If you're going to start programming things that go beyond what
works well in BASH, you'd be better off with Python or Ruby or even
Groovy.

Randall Schulz

How legible a bit of code is really down to the programmer not the
language the code is written in. ...

Not entirely. And in my experience, most programmers are absolutely
lousy graphic artists and write ugly, unreadable code.

Personally I have a pathological dislike of languages which use
indentation to define blocks and use eol as a statement terminator.

Ruby ... you are having a laugh I hope... performs like a dog
according to the bench marks... a bit of Web 2 nonsense.. Groovy.. is
it even a standard??

Personally, I agree about Python's indenting business. But it's a decent
scripting language. Ruby is sound and for scripting purposes, it's
meager performance is not generally a problem. Both of them have
JVM-based implementations that are actively developed and perform well.

Asking about standards in this realm is meaningless. None of these
languages are standardized, not BASH, not Perl, not Python, not Ruby
and not Groovy. But they're all real, powerful, supported and actively
maintained languages. They're all well enough defined for the purposes
to which they're put. (Well, I'm still harping on the G2One people to
document and specify Groovy better, but they're overworked, it seems.)

The trend of re-hosting once-experimental languages on the JVM or CLR is
a good one, 'cause the big-time vendors of those runtimes (Sun and
Microsoft, resp.) put in tremendous work on improving performance and
maintaining them for the common OS platforms, so that work carries
along the work of the other languages not specifically owned by the
platform / virtual machine vendor.

Randall Schulz