Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:24:21 -0400

Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday 01 May 2008 00:36, Sam Clemens wrote:

I gave up on perl.
It makes my brain hurt -- like trying to read 1970's era BASIC code.
I concur. Perl verges on being an abomination. "Pathetically eclectic rubbish lister" indeed!

I once (in the Perl 4 era) wrote a code generation tool in Perl, but I no longer can even read that stuff.

If you're going to start programming things that go beyond what works well in BASH, you'd be better off with Python or Ruby or even Groovy.

Randall Schulz

How legible a bit of code is really down to the programmer not the
language the code is written in.

Obviously you've never seen APL.
> There are people that tend to think
that abstracting a language to a level closer to pseudo code improves
the coding experience, IMHO all that tends to do is reduce the scope of
the programmer to control and tune the code.

Personally I have a pathological dislike of languages which use
indentation to define blocks and use eol as a statement terminator.
Which is the reason I have never bothered too much with Python, but that
is a personal preference not a comment on the language itself. PHP is
not just a web site language and has been used a non-web application
script language, and javascript can also be used this way. (Though I
have not done this on a *NIX platform).

Ruby ... you are having a laugh I hope... performs like a dog according
to the bench marks... a bit of Web 2 nonsense.. Groovy.. is it even a
standard??

In the OP's case, I don't think performance is a big issue,
or he wouldn't be using Perl in the first place.