Re: [opensuse] can I add dos 6.22 to grub without using a separate partition
  • From: Vahe Avedissian <vyav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:39:59 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: OS-en <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 8:21:12 AM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] can I add dos 6.22 to grub without using a separate
partition

The Monday 2008-04-21 at 07:57 -0700, Vahe Avedissian wrote:

As most hw manufacturers force us to boot into dos to upgrade BIOS or
run diagnotsics we all need to keep a floppy (or usb) with dos on it. I
know I can create a small partition and install the floppy contents thee
and add the requisite entry to grub (or lilo).

My question is we can boot and jump into memtest using a floppy, or a
menu entry in grub using a dot bin file. Can we do the same with dos
6.22 and not create a new partition for dos?

You can emulate dos inside linux.
You can run a dos virtual box using vmware or virtual box or whatever.

But no, you can not boot a file and have dos.

And the first two options are useless to update the bios (a virtualized
system accesses a virtual bios, not the real bios); and the emulated dos
will be refused access to the bios by the linux kernel.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Thanks Carlos,

I suspected so much - I just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything.

Furthermore, if I need to run any type of dos diagnostic that generates a log
file, booting from an image or file
would not work anyway.

Vahe