Re: [opensuse] Re: Windows vs. Suse OO docuent file size
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:30:24 -0400
Charles philip Chan wrote:
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

The second thing is to play with fonts. Depending on which fonts, and
how many, you use you get different sizes.

I very seldom use OO other then for conversion. I just checked out it's
pdf export and wow, the file size is big. One of the problems is that OO
embeds the whole fonts instead of the subset that the document needs. I
have the some document converted through OO and pdflatex, the OO version
is close to 4 times larger than the one produced by pdflatex.

IMHO, I think this should be consider a bug- OO should only embed the
subset.

Charles

If you're using KDE, you can also use the KDE PDF "printer". I believe it produces smaller files than OO.