Re: [opensuse] Can uids be mapped?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:37:45 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2008-04-19 at 12:24 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:

Changing the physical uids is not valid: that would render the linux
system of filesystem A inoperable.

How so? Just change the uid in one of the installs so they both match, then do
a chown. How would that render it inoperable?

Because it is thousands and thousands of files and can not be done in a pinch. Plus the backups that can not be changed. System B is actually my factory install.

NFSv4 has idmapd, but I think it will be tricky to get it to work on the same
machine

I can't find any reference to "idmapd" in the nfs manuals :-? Ah, it is an independent daemon.

[...]

The documentation is useless! There is no example of mapping:

EXAMPLES
An example /etc/idmapd.conf file:

[General]

Verbosity = 0
Pipefs-Directory = /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs
Domain = localdomain

[Mapping]

Nobody-User = nobody
Nobody-Group = nobody

Only the "nobody" can be mapped! The man reads:

The variables allowed in the Mapping section are Nobody-User and
Nobody-Group, which have the same effect as the -U and -G commandline
options.

So it is useless...

Other than that, I'm not aware of anything for native linux file systems.

I'm sure the need has come more than once, but I don't know of a tool for doing it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.