Re: [opensuse] Can uids be mapped?
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:24:31 +0200
On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:08:43 Carlos E. R. wrote:
Hi,

Assume a filesystem A in which "user" has uid 500.

Assume another filesystem B in which "user" has uid 1000

They belong to different suse installs in the same machine.

Is there a method to mount B so that files with uid=500 appear to have
uid=1000?

NFS perhaps? I haven't seen it in the manual.

Changing the physical uids is not valid: that would render the linux
system of filesystem A inoperable.

How so? Just change the uid in one of the installs so they both match, then do
a chown. How would that render it inoperable?

NFSv4 has idmapd, but I think it will be tricky to get it to work on the same
machine

Other than that, I'm not aware of anything for native linux file systems.

Anders