Re: [opensuse] Noob 3d Desktop
  • From: Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:10:44 -0700
John Andersen wrote:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Clayton wrote:

Hmmmm I got a copy of Doom3. I have heard you can make that work on
Linux. Well let's give the GLXGears a try and then see if I can
get Doom running again.
Doom3 is easy to get working. You install the Linux engine, and then
copy over the wad files from your Doom3 install disks.

Right, all the id games are pretty easy to run on linux, if you've got an
nvidia card properly configured with 3D acceleration. I like quake 3 arena
and still find the online q3a gaming quite interesting, but for some reason
doom 3 and quake 4 don't strike me as that much fun. OTOH unreal tournament
2004 is great. YMMV.

Joe

Then you probably won't like this one either, but its pretty cool:
http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/

Yeah, I've looked at it, it's not too bad. Right now I'm using intel video (my nvidia card died) and while it's perfectly fine for most uses, it doesn't quite have the horsepower to do some games justice. q3a still plays nicely though, and I've recently been experiencing a blast from the past with the doom1 - available in yast as "vavoom" (also plays heretic and hexen)

Joe