Re: [opensuse] Developing for both SLES / openSuSE
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:28:16 +0000
2008/4/14 Alexandros Karypidis <akarypid@xxxxxxxx>:
Hi all,

To my understanding (and I am seeking verification for this) Novell bases
its official SLES/SLED distributions on openSuSE. Is the "codebase" for the
official distributions a fork from some openSuSE version? In other words,
does Novell take a snapshot of openSuSE version X to produce SLES Y?

There reason I am asking, is because I would like to produce RPMs for both
openSuSE and SLES and was wondering if I can use openSuSE for both. For
instance, if SLES 10 SP1 is really openSuSE 10.1 with super polishing and
support, I could use openSuSE 10.1 and have the same kernel symbols, C
libraries, package names and dependencies, etc. Therefore I could build RPMs
for SLES without having to pay for a license.

Or is openSuSE entirely unrelated to Novell's official distros?

Thanks.

P.S. I did try web searches for things such as "openSuSE / SLES
compatibility matrix" "SLES based on openSuSE" and found nothing.

AFAIK SLES10 is based on openSUSE 10.1, but they are not 100%
compatible, which means you cannot build RPMs for SLES without having
SLES installed.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"