Re: [opensuse] Printer LEXMARK Z605 and 10.3
  • From: Adam Jimerson <vendion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:27:18 -0400
On Tuesday 08 April 2008 03:51:40 am Johannes Meixner wrote:
Hello,

On Apr 5 23:59 Sam Clemens wrote (shortened):
John Andersen wrote:
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
... openSUSE 10.3 ...
... Z605 Lexmark (USB) ...
... (He installed another distro and he had no problems with the
printer.)

I wonder how it works for "another distro" because according to
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-Z600_series_z601_z6
02 there is no open source driver available.

In general regarding Lexmark, see
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/LinuxSupportByPrin
terVendors "Useless ... Lexmark JetPrinters"

Have you tried just adding the windows ppd to cups?

Only for real PostScript printers the PPD file alone is sufficient.
All other printers require a driver, i.e. a program which produces
the printer-specific data.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex

I know my Lexmark All-in-One x1200 printer works using the z600 PPD files,
Lexmark made a RPM for RedHat 9 that contains the needed files. The RPM is
built for an older version of CUPS and RPM won't install it without
the --nodeps flag, but the driver works fine with CUPS 1.2.12. If you want
to try it I can send you the RPM and a text file that has what I did to
install it.