Re: [opensuse] Any good Linux compatible WYSIWYG HTML editor
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:49:51 -0700
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, it's not just Adobe that wants people to believe that DW and
InDesign are used a lot. They are in fact used by most big dev houses.
My wife worked for several in our 10 years in the Bay Area. The thing is
.. 99% of those were on Macs. :D

But your point is taken about knowing HTML and other web languages.

Very true, on both points.

Virtually no high-volume web developers use only text editors.
The "purists" that pontificate on this issue adnaseum all recommend a
standard text editor, and an absurd number of them recommend vi.

You occasionally need a text editor when you have hopelessly muddled a page
or confused the wisiwig editor, but the need for this is rare.
You need to understand mark-up language to occasionally fix something that
gets hozed.

It kind of reminds me of old time Word Perfect users that insisted you
had to work
with "reveal codes" switched on all the time. Long after the need to
work this way
they could not adopt, and rebelled against MS Word because it had no
direct equivalent.
I see that they have prevailed upon OO Org to force a reveal code mode
there too... (sigh).