Re: [opensuse] <SOLVED> Two types of hdd's...can they be mixed?
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:44:19 -0400

The Sunday 2008-04-06 at 12:39 -0400, Sam Clemens wrote:

It is not as simple as that.

If a different set of options corrected the problem they found, they would
have said so and write up the correct encantation. But no, they said it
was a bug.

It has to be some bug, then, probably corrected since, or maybe not. I
can't say unless they say what the bug was.

If it was an actual bug, then tar would be completely broken,
and not fit for use under any circumstance.

If he says "bug" then I have to trust him and think it was a bug. A bug doesn't have to affect all uses of a program.

But what would be broken that ONLY hurts that particular
command pipeline?

writing to stdout instead of a regular file???

That's merely a change of a file descriptor, which would
mean that all of tar is broken.

Same goes for reading from stdin instead of a regular file.

That's one of the big breakthroughs of the Unix concept,
totally unheard of at the time...to use the same semantics
for writing to a disk file or to print on the screen
or to feed to another program... or to send to some
other thing...

Either tar reads and writes acceptable data, or it doesn't.

I know the current kernel we use has bugs... I know some of them. Is the kernel unfit for use under any circumstance, then?

Tar is such a basic resource that it's either trustworthy,
or it is not.

The editor was just lazy... or, giving him the benefit of
the doubt, didn't realize that these flags had been created
and were now available.

I'll grant him laziness, for not specifying the bug.