Re: [opensuse] /bin/rm: Argument list too long
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:23:03 +0100
Anders Johansson wrote:

But the thing is, the xarg's man page does not clearly say that it
joins arguments up to the size limit. There are hints that concurs
with that fact, but it is not clearly stated :-)

Exactly - in particular, the '-0' argument doesn't say anything about
matching any size limit.

Possibly because that's not what -0 does. -0 just tells xargs to not
use blanks or newlines as parameter separator, but to wait for a null
character instead

Ah, now I'm beginning to see your point. I would have _sworn_ that
"| xargs <cmd>" did not take the max # arguments into account, which is
why I thought '-0' somehow altered that.
But I am clearly wrong - "| xargs <cmd>" _does_ know about max number of
arguments.

I still feel certain I've done stuff like:

find <dir> -type f | xargs zgrep -i blah

and seen something like "too many arguments" or whatever it is, but of
course I can't reproduce that now.

It's not as if I haven't been using xargs, I think I use it quite a few
times daily - but as Peter Zeljkovic said "You learn something new
every day".

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich