Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:55:26 -0400
Sam Clemens wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday 27 March 2008 07:48, Bob Rea wrote:
U.S. government SECRET requires a low-level format.
How does one do a low level format? I got asked to do this
at work but no one would tell me how.

If you use SCSI drives, then the SCSI adaptor may have a BIOS function for invoking low-level disk formatting operations, assuming the drive hardware permits it. You could look there.

But I had gotten the impression (in this list a while back, if I recall correctly) that modern drives have their addressing information written at the factory and provide no means to change or redo it in the field.

They've got some program, which, after you run it on an IDE
drive, the thing seems to be unusuable for anything other
than a paperweight.

I believe that's called "Vista". ;-)