Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: Jeremy Baker <jab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:56:10 -0400
On March 26, 2008 11:50:59 pm Sam Clemens wrote:
Rikard Johnels wrote:
On Wednesday 26 March 2008 14:16, Jim Staunton wrote:
Hans defaber wrote:
What is the best (easiest) way to overwrite old harddisks with random
garbage ?

Have a look at shred - 'man shred' will explain how to use it...

Jim

If you are to toss the drive: Use a 10 mm drill .
Just make a couple of holes thru the whole case and you are done.
Fast, secure and cheep...

I've done that procedure at work where a bank left some workstations to
be disposed of.
A nice 10 mm drill, redecorate the case to resemble a swiss cheese.. and
presto!
Nothing is getting of THAT drive in a hurry...

If the information is extremely secret, be sure to mutilate
the surfaces of the disks. Otherwise, I can just take the
platters to the drive's manufacturer, and have them put in
side a case of another identical drive.

5 pound sledge hammer is also a useful device.
Bonus: no electricity.

I have used DBAN with good effect. I have a friend who works for the
government in an IT security shop, and the best tool that he has for
recovering data from erased hard drives can't find anything usefull after
DBAN is done with a drive.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

--
Jeremy Baker <jab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>