Re: [opensuse] scrathsing old harddisks
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:37:20 -0400
Oddball wrote:
Greg Freemyer schreef:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Hans defaber <hans.defaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is the best (easiest) way to overwrite old harddisks with random garbage ?

thanks, Hans

Lots of ways, but the easiest is "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4k
conv=noerror"

Basically everything beyond that is overkill. Even NIST has started
buying off on the above for drive 20GB or larger. holding confidential
data (Older, less dense drives need more passes, random data, etc.)
For more secret data, they require physical destruction I think.. I
have not seen any docs that cover drives holding top secret data etc.

If you need a boot CD/floppy look into dban.

If you think you data is worth someone attempting a multi-million
dollar recovery on and you think their is an ultra-secret government
agency that actually has some SciFi like ability to recovery
overwritten data, then take it apart and belt sand the magnetic media
off of each platter. You should probably do that while wearing an
aluminum hat. That way they can't be reading your mind during the
process and somehow be using you as a transmitter to read your data.

Greg
Yes an aluminium hat... lol.

In college, this was part of my .plan(*)

Although you might have tinfoil in your hat to keep me from
reading your mind, *I* have aluminum underwear!

(*) At the time, .plan files were the equivalent of a web
home page. Edit a file .plan in your home directory, and
then run this command.

$ finger [your_username_here]