[opensuse] mv and cpio have new behavior. How do I get the old back?
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:55:19 -0600
Hello,

I am on openSUSE 10.3 and I really hate the current behavior. On 10.0 I
could do a mv and it retained the orignal date/time. Now moving the
directory changes times. I have to do a cpio to get things to stay. When
you transfer 450 GB it becomes a real problem. I only have a 1TB drive.
Once I finish getting things to this drive I will not be able to do a
cpio.

Also cpio no longer honors -pdum. I have to use
cpio -p --make-directories --preserve-modification-time

A real pain to type and prone to mistakes. Why has the long honored
methods been change. I really hate this new behavior. I do not want to
do to get the orignal behavior back with mv and cpio?

Thanks,

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>