Re: [opensuse] Re: Shockwave Flash -- Addendum
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:41:16 -0400
On Monday 24 March 2008 09:00:01 am Stan Goodman wrote:
On Monday 24 March 2008 12:02:58 Charles philip Chan wrote:
Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

writes:
I am getting a log of error messages when I browse the 'Net, about
pages that require Shockwave Flash. They do not tell me anyting
about what kind of file feels unrequited (or about why web
designers feel an urge to use this crap).

Please post a link to such a site.

I don't remember where this happened yesterday, and the History list is
not helping. When it happens again, I'll fill this in.

I don't see a way to add a filetype to this list.

For some strange reason this function does not exist in Firefox (it was
there in mozilla). You will need to install the mime-edit extension:

Thanks.

I have a similar problem with MPlayer, by the way, which is capable
of running some WMP film clips from websites, but not all.

Please post a link to a video.

I'll post two, because the reuslts do not seem consistent.

The newspaper site I mentioned is <http://jpost.com>; it is all in
English. Find the place with a link to "JPost videos". The screen that it
brings up is a short herald about the US election process, and there is a
long menu of clips to the right. Most of these are from TV-1 (they are
labeled "iba". If you click on them MPlayer will swear to you that it
is "connecting", but after a while it will recycle to the herald. At the
moment, only one of the menu items is from the newspaper itself, and
that behaves exactly like those from iba. (Sometimes they have clips from
other external sources, and those are displayed properly.)

For comparison, you can view directly
<http://www.iba.org.il/media/?liveRadio=14>, which is Radio-2. The two
columns of icons at the left are audio programs you (presumably) could
hear -- they don't start for me. If you click on the button
marked "Foreign Languages", you can see more of these in many languages
(Arabic, Tigrit, Russian, and even English). Above these is a screen for
th recorded English-language news from the TV-1 network (the news reader
is an immigrant from Oklahoma City, so you won't have trouble with his
speech). This clip , unlike offerings from the same source but viewed
through the newspaper, displayed beautifully by MPlayer.

Hello Stan

Never did find the jpost video link you sent so I don't know about that.

I did however go to the iba site and was able to open any and all of the
videos and watch and play them. When first clicking on a selection a box came
up and stated that I needed the microsoft plug in "click here" to download
it, OR "click here to view the content directly in your video player" When
clicked on, they would open with xine and they played beautifully. On some of
the longer ones you had to wait for the buffering though.

Bob S

PS You even have the Simpson's in hebrew, huh? :-)