Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE and disk boot order
  • From: Bob <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:09:27 +0000
On Tuesday 04 March 2008 15:39:08 Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Tuesday 2008-03-04 at 16:21 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Yes. The BIOS is involved, up to a point. But if there are two disks in
the system during install, and one later gets removed, something
important may may go missing. In 10.0, you could select which disk was
going to be the boot disk, and then the install made sure all things
boot related were set up for this. In my case, there is a removable disk
that shows up as /dev/sda during install (no matter where it is in the
BIOS boot order), and the disk I want to install on is /dev/sdb. In 10.0
I could, in a menu available during install, tell the install
that /dev/sdb is the boot disk. Removing /dev/sda has no effect. The
boot always works. I am looking for this functionality in 10.3 that
worked great for me in 10.0. As I wrote, perhaps it is now done via
different information. I am trying to find out what that is.

Maybe the information you need is the file /boot/grub/device.map.

Which is the boot disk depends entirely on the bios, then on whatever
program that disk MBR contains. This program can then boot another disk or
partition.

If what worries you is the change of name when removing/adding a drive,
then simply do not use those names. Edit grub so that instead of
'/dev/sda' it uses labels or ids, for instance.

Are you talking about the location of /boot? You can set this up at
installation time in the Partitioning wizard.
--
Bob
Registered Linux User #463880