Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: Jim Flanagan <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 04:34:38 -0600
Per Jessen wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

You will undoubtedly remember the discussion about the stability
problems on my new workstation from a couple of weeks ago. I'll
quickly sum up -

[pruned]

And the machine still crashes under load - even just a little bit. I
run two copies of mprime, plus firefox and such, and after 15-20
minutes, I get the automatic reboot.

[pruned]

Out of (personal) curiosity, why do you run 2 copies of mprime for
these tests? Wouldn't the one copy do?

It's a quad-core machine, so it should be possible to run four copies of
mprime concurrently without it falling over.

Latest update - it was suggested I install 10.3, then upgrade to the
latest kernel. Which has very surprisingly had the effect that I can
now run one copy of mprime a lot longer than before. I had one copy
running almost eight hours last night.

I asked AMD for a CPU diagnostic tool, but they can only supply
something for Windows.

There does exist a version of windows xp that runs off a boot cd or dvd.
It's not made by MS, but rather some guy. I think he goes by Bart? If
you had that you could boot off that optical disk to run AMD's tests.

Jim F