Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 20:10:55 +0100
Rajko M. wrote:

The idea was simple troubleshooting technique to replace every part of
non working system that you don't understand completely how it works.
In your case you replaced or checked all except CPU, Factory and
mprime, so it was time to do that.

And I had in fact also just today replaced my initial 11.0A2 with a 10.3
install, so now we're left with the CPU.

Now you can run kernel compilation from script, that will compile,
than 'make mrproper' and than again compile for hours to see how it
works in long run, ie. how it handles real thermal stress, but at
least you know that mprime was at least part of the problem, if not
the only problem. I agree with you that thermal problem should be put
on rest for now.

I'll set up the machine to run kernel compiles all night, it's already
running in fact.

I disagree about mprime being _part_ of the problem though. mprime is
what _provokes_ the problem, but it's not part of it.
What you're saying is the same as saying that a car is part of the
problem if a bridge collapses.

Jim metioned interaction between GUI and mprime as possible reason.
It can be as mprime is console application.
It can be that you found bug in either gcc, kernel, glibc, mprime

OK, I agree, that is marginally possible. But without _any_ error
message of any kind at all?

or Phenom.

I've queried AMD about that one. I've asked them for a diagnostic tool.

I'll see to compile mprime and test here and post result on:

Note that it is different list than opensuse-test.

I didn't know either of them, but I do now. Thanks Rajko.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich