Re: [opensuse] ext3 check forced = frustration
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:30:54 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2008-02-18 at 15:15 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

One of the mains reasons of having many partition is damage
contention, like the partitions on a ship. If you have a bad failure,
the damage, or the worst damage, is limited to a partition. I have had
my day saved more than once when I had a partition fully and
irrecoverably lost. If I had everything on a single partition, I would
have lost everything!

I have never heard that reasoning before, but I guess you could be
right - nonetheless, if I was worried about disk-failure, I'd buy a
second drive and set up a RAID1.

Raid is no protection at all in this case, because a software problem affects the filesystem structure imposed over the raid. Both copies would be simultaneously broken. Raid only protects against hardware problems.

I have been bitten by this kind of failure several times, with every type of filesystem. The only real protection is backup. Having several partitions, or better, several disks, improves it.

These kind of failure can be triggered by a hardware failure, like a power outage at a very inopportune moment, followed by another one during recovery. Or a faulty IDE cable failing also when less convenient. Or ram memory corruption (either physical, or another program overwriting it). The software can not cope, the main inodes (or fat) get corrupted, and the structure of the partition it was writing to gets corrupted beyond recovery. Once I had a reiser partition destroyed because of a software bug.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.