Re: [opensuse] ext3 check forced = frustration
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:24:08 -0500
Clayton wrote:
convenient on your root partition. I have decided it is a small price
to pay for data consistency for as often as I boot the server. FS
corruption left uncorrected is not an advantage in the few minutes it
adds to a boot every few months IMO.

That makes sense on a server. You rarely restart a server, and it
runs 24x7. Having a forced file system check on a once or twice per
year restart is generally no big deal as the server probably down for
scheduled maintenance anyway.

What about the people who install openSUSE on a laptop? or on a home
PC that is shut down every night? Are we right in expecting them to
do tune2fs? An experienced user might not mind, but what about the
new users? I understand why Novell chose to set ext3 as the default
file system, and I know that if I prefer I can pick any other one from
the list when I do my custom partitioning.... but where does that
leave our new users... people new to Linux? ...people who have no
clue about ext3, Reiser, etc.

Are laptops less susceptible to filesystem corruption?

Just some questions that really need to be thought about for a future
release of openSUSE... I don't know the "right" answer here... but
unleashing ext3 and its lengthy forced fsck on unsuspecting new users
is not exactly a good thing. As others have noted, there really needs
to be some warning... and some control over the ext3 fsck on boot...
something an average new user can deal with. (maybe this is something
to be discussed on the Project mailing list?)

It's never been a problem for me. But then again, I don't put
everything into one huge 80 GB filesystem. Several smaller
filesystesm will fsck faster than the same amount of disk
space in one large partition.