Re: [opensuse] [OT] How much power does a PC really consume?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:20:09 -0800
On Thursday 14 February 2008 10:07, James Knott wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday 14 February 2008 08:52, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I'm pretty certain it won't be able to measure any spikes. As for
the type of load, it's almost 99% resistive. I.e. the load
doesn't vary with the phase of the AC.

"Resistive" means the current and the voltage are in phase with
each other.

But I don't see how a transformer primary, which is an inductor,
can be anything _but_ reactive.

An unloaded transformer is inductive, which limits the current to a
low value and lagging voltage by 90 degrees. As the load increases,
the voltage and current come closer into phase. When the transformer
is at maximum load, the phase angle will be 0, assuming a resistive
load on the transformer.

Ah, right. Well, my EE courses were a very long time ago. (Programming
rots the brain, it appears...)

Randall Schulz