Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.0 and the Non-ready KDE4
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:18:24 -0500
Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Feb 13, 2008, at 5:27 PM, Anders Johansson wrote:

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 21:33:27 Aaron Kulkis wrote:
The KDE devs need to be hit witha clue-bat.

No, you do

This should be called KDE 4.0 Alpha.

Significantly missing functionality and crashes
of critical software (konsole) means not ready
for Beta-test designation.

The missing functionality I can (partly) agree with, but the crashes are
mostly an 11.0 phenomenon. I've been running KDE4 on 10.3 from the build
service for a while now, and while I have seen a few problems, mostly it's
been working very well. Certainly not the crash fest that seems to be going
on in 11.0 (which by the way *is* an alpha)

I personally suspect the new version of gcc

Anders

I agree. Obviously, Aaron has some fascination with verbally threatening developers he doesn't agree with... but anyway. I haven't run 11.0 alphas yet, I'm probably going to start with Alpha 3, but I did run 4.0 under 10.3 and I thought it worked pretty well. Missing features, I saw some. I'm not typically a KDE user, but some I did see.

You obviously have no sense of humor.

"hitting users with clue-bats" has been a part of computer-science
and computer-engineering lore for decades.

I'm optimistic about KDE 4.x's 11.0 progress and I think it will work well when the release is here. Of course, I'm also a Ron Paul supporter, so maybe some optimism is running abundant right now...

I have more faith in Ron Paul than I do in the KDE's devs (or
those of any other project of similar size) taking an incomplete alpha-stage project to release quality in 8 weeks.

It just is NOT going to happen.

"Hey Boss, sorry I didn't come in to work last week... I
was at home trying to get KDE 4 whipped into shape in time
for the SuSE 11.0 release."

"Why are you here? We fired you 3 days ago."