Re: [opensuse] Re: openSUSE Boxed Editions
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:40:00 -0500
Kevin Dupuy wrote:
On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 15:14 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Stefan Hundhammer pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Tuesday 05 February 2008 13:57, Carlos F. Lange wrote:
What about cover mounts for magazines? Wouldn't that have the same
effect of visibility?
I would say no.
Linux magazines have a very low visibility. I have to look hard for them
behind the rows and rows of Win and Mac magazines (and I always pull
some of them to the front :). But the common user only buys magazines
_after_ he/she starts using a system and, even then, such a user may
feel overwhelmed by all the overload of Linux programs the magazines
tend to offer.
It's not just Linux magazines. Here in Germany, c't magazine repeatedly had openSUSE DVDs on the cover (and of course a number of articles about it inside, too). This is one of the largest and also most well-respected computer magazines there is on the German market. This for sure does have large visibility in the entire IT market, not just the Linux niche.
Agreed, we do have more installation from just the c't magazine cover
mount than worldwide box sales for openSUSE 10.3.

I'm not sure 10.3 is a great example, since I'd argue that openSUSE 10.3
wasn't distributed well, it was only available online at
shop.Novell.com.

I'd also like to, at the very least, see openSUSE 11.0 become available
for boxed editions at the same time as the release for public download,
so we can get the boxed edition at the same time as the release time,
instead of, what Andreas will probably remember, as waiting one month
after the release of the product for free download for buyers to receive
the boxed edition.

In practice, that means delaying the release of the download
version, which I see as rather pointless.