Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse 11
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:02:54 -0500

There are a lot of fundamental flaws in Windows, that create
security risks. One is the way IE is tied into the kernel, so
that a user app runs in kernel space.
Do you know this for a fact? If so, how do you know? Where did you
learn it?

It really is very hard to believe, since it is such a gross
violation of the principles of operating system design. I find it
hard to believe even Microsoft would commit such a technological
travesty for the sake of thwarting a lawsuit or some regulations.
I have read about it in a couple of different sources, but don't have
any handy at the moment. Read up on Netscape vs MS for the why. And
does bad software design from Microsoft surprise you?

Bad design is everywhere, in every discipline. And I do not hold the belief that everything MS does is bad or of poor quality (though Outlook and Exchange are enough to earn them a special place in hell). Nor do I believe all or even most (or even many) of their engineers are unskilled.

So yes, this is beyond the pale. No engineer would buy into it. They would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into such a horrible scheme.

There is certainly no technical reason for them to tie IE so closely to the
operating system, yet that is precisely what they claimed. ...

Again, "tie closely to the OS" and "tied into the kernel" _are NOT the same thing_! You said IE code is in the kernel. I'm still not ready to believe that.

How can it be "tied closely to the OS" without being tied
into the kernel.