Re: [opensuse] Unstable system - who is the culprit?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:24:22 +0100
Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 10:10, Per Jessen wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:

Maybe. The power supply could be defective. Can you measure the
voltages while the test runs?

I did in fact have lm-sensors running to monitor the voltages, but I
didn't keep a close eye on them. ...

I meant actually measuring the voltage with a multimeter.

I thought you might have meant just that, but I hadn't checked the
motherboard for any specific test/measurement points. Are they
normally marked/indicated? (for mere mortals to access with a probe I
mean). Regardless, I'm not sure if a regular multimeter would have
really helped catch subtle variations - maybe an oscilloscope. Have
you tried it with a plain millivoltmeter?

Regardless, after Mike and David pointed me to the page in the
Gigabyte manual that recommended at least a 400W powersupply, I've
ordered a new one, which should be arriving tomorrow. I'll let you
know how it works out.

Well, as I said originally, the first thing that struck me about your
system description was the puny power supply. I'd say the likelihood
that this will correct the problem is pretty good. I'd go for
something with some head-room, though. 450W or 500W would be good.

Yeah, I did just that. Initially I was thinking 500-550W, but when I
considered that the box would go unstable (under load) without major
disk-activity and without the high-consumption graphics card, I decided
to go a bit further and picked a 850W supply. Pricewise there wasn't
much of a difference, and I didn't want to go for e.g. 500W only to see
it too give up under full load.

/Per Jessen, Zürich