Re: [opensuse] Can't produce any usable output with LyX
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:04:04 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2008-02-03 at 20:31 +0200, auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Tex doesn't support unicode. There have been attempts to rewrite tex with full
support for unicode (omega - abandoned, xetex - in development), you might
have better results with them. There are ways to make tex work for a specific
language, they aren't proper solutions though. You may also try to set your
input encoding to something other than unicode.

Damm! No utf. :-/

omega abandoned? Then I'd better remove it. I'll install xetex instead.

Otherwise, I'l have to try using latin1 instead of utf.
[...]
Yep, the document works better in that format. I set UTF because one of the error/warning messages sugested me to use it, and because the original palin document I started from was utf. Interestingly, the conversion to text produces an utf plain text file.

I then specify "utf8". Now, when converting, I get a pop window that says
"an empty ouput file was generated", and then another "LaTeX Error: file
'CJK.sty' not found ".

I don't know what this is about.

Probably a by-product of using utf.

How can I get LyX to work? I have _never_ been able to get LyX to really
work (in years). I suppose it works somewhere, but for me, that I have no
idea of Tex and that I simply want it to work out of the box, it has never
worked. Never, since suse 5 or 6. And I keep trying because I like the
idea...

Try typing ASCII characters with latex markup (\"o, \'e etc).

No, that's absolutely out of the question. Either it works using my existing keyboard, or I use something else, like openoffice.

Lyx is useless, and I'm very frustrated :-(

In order to use lyx, you should be familiar with the tex system. I have used
omega with unicode text successfully, I haven't had much success with xetex.

I have no idea of tex, nor I want to. For instance, I do not need to know XML to get OpenOffice write documents, and I expect the same of LyX: I have no reason to learn Tex either. That's the job of Lyx and the packagers, not mine.

:-/

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.