Re: [opensuse] Installing additional serial ports
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 20:33:05 +0100 (CET)

The Sunday 2008-02-03 at 19:41 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:

What I want is to list these ports in fstab, so that the ports are
available upon boot.

I now understand my error. I'm sure I have read more than once that
Linux "treats everything as a directory"; that threw me.

A directory? Maybe you read a translation :-? I think it should have said "a file". Everything appears as a special file under the /dev directory.

What you need is to configure /etc/init.d/setserial.

DO I need to do that, given that the YaST Hardware Information facility
sees the modem and knows that it is on ttyS1, and dmesg knows the irq
level?

Depends... if you can access the devices, then no, you don't need to. Otherwise, yes. In any case, setserial runs on every start, so I suppose it did something.

Just try to access the ports using minicom (as root). It's probably the best program. Better if there is something connected to the port, like a modem, or you will not see any response.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.