Re: [opensuse] Installing additional serial ports
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 06:07:26 -0500
Stan Goodman wrote:
I have a PCI card with two serial ports. Apparently openSuSE
> recognizes them, but I need to mount them explicitly.

Serial ports are not mounted.
Only filesystems+the devices they reside on are mounted.

> I want them to be mounted at boot.

As shown below, they're already recognized by the kernel
at boot time

> Of the three ports, I
> want one to be for a UPS, and another for a fax modem.

Those are configuration issues.

What do the specs for your UPS and faxmodem say?

# dmesg | grep tty
serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
00:08: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
0000:06:03.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0xb800 (irq = 19) is a ST16650V2
0000:06:03.0: ttyS2 at I/O 0xb400 (irq = 19) is a ST16650V2
#

I wish I could say that I understand the man page on dmesg,

the dmesg man page has little to do with the above information.
The only thing the command line arguments do is change the
"message-level", and the size of the ring buffer.

The output is merely the contents of the ring buffer, which
is composed of messages from all sorts of software (the
kernel, and anything else which writes to the syslog)

> but it is my understanding that the above is information about
> the presence of recognized hardware, and that the ports are
> not configured or operational. ttyS0 is, of course, the
> onboard port, and the other two are those on the PCI card.

Correct.

# setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16650V2, Port: 0xb800, IRQ: 19
# setserial -g /dev/ttyS[02]
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16650V2, Port: 0xb400, IRQ: 19
#

Again, the man page for setserial is not sufficiently clear for me to understand how to use this command. For example, man describes what should happen when the -g switch is omitted; when I run the command without the switch I am told only "Invalid flag".

SYNOPSIS
setserial [ -abqvVWz ] device [ parameter1 [ arg ] ] ...

setserial -g [ -abGv ] device1 ...

This means that you must type the command which either conforms
to the first form, or the 2nd form.

With the -g flag, you can also specify -a, -b, -G, and/or -v, and
MUST specify one or more devices.

Without the -g flag, you can also specify -a, -b, -q, -v, -V,
-W, and/or -z, followed by a mandatory specification of EXACTLY
one device, optionally followed by 1 or more parameters, each of
which is optionally followed by one argument, depending on the
parameter, as listed in the PARAMETERS section of the man page.

What I want is to list these ports in fstab,

No, you don't.

/etc/fstab is for file systems, not communications ports.

> so that the ports are available upon boot.

The dmesg output above demonstrates that they're already
available on boot.

You just aren't configuring them properly before attempting
to use them.

A few hints would be greatly appreciated.

Setserial is closer to what you're looking for.