Re: [opensuse] memtest86 skipping 3/4 of a pass ?
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 04:40:00 -0500
Per Jessen wrote:

I've got a new workstation with 4Gb RAM - it's been showing signs of
instability, so I ran memtest86+ v1.70 for about 13 hours last night.

I had a sneaking suspicion that memtest was cutting things short - I
had seen the pass completion bar at 23-24%, only to see it having
started
on the next pass only 5 minutes later. So I videotaped a couple of
ours worth, and sure enough - memtest completes 25% of a pass after
which it starts the next pass.

Update - this is most probably due to lack of support for the
CPU/chipset on this motherboard - AMD Phenom on Gigabyte
GA-MA790FX-DS5.
According to a memtest86 forum at http://forum.x86-secret.com/, they'd
like CPU-Z dumps posted for unsupported/unknown chipsets. The CPU-Z
utility seems to be Windows only?

The other memtest86 website http://www.memtest86.com reports the most
recent version 3.4 from August 2007, so most probably with no support
for my setup.
Any other memtest utilities anyone can recommend?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+memory-test+OR+memory-diagnostic&btnG=Search

http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1148540,00.html