Re: [opensuse] memtest86 skipping 3/4 of a pass ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 10:16:01 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:

I've got a new workstation with 4Gb RAM - it's been showing signs of
instability, so I ran memtest86+ v1.70 for about 13 hours last night.

I had a sneaking suspicion that memtest was cutting things short - I
had seen the pass completion bar at 23-24%, only to see it having
on the next pass only 5 minutes later. So I videotaped a couple of
ours worth, and sure enough - memtest completes 25% of a pass after
which it starts the next pass.

Update - this is most probably due to lack of support for the
CPU/chipset on this motherboard - AMD Phenom on Gigabyte
According to a memtest86 forum at, they'd
like CPU-Z dumps posted for unsupported/unknown chipsets. The CPU-Z
utility seems to be Windows only?

The other memtest86 website reports the most
recent version 3.4 from August 2007, so most probably with no support
for my setup.

Any other memtest utilities anyone can recommend?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich