Re: [opensuse] Installing additional serial ports
  • From: Koenraad Lelong <koen1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:53:07 +0100
Stan Goodman schreef:
I have a PCI card with two serial ports. Apparently openSuSE recognizes
them, but I need to mount them explicitly. I want them to be mounted at
boot. Of the three ports, I want one to be for a UPS, and another for a
fax modem.

Again, the man page for setserial is not sufficiently clear for me to
understand how to use this command. For example, man describes what
should happen when the -g switch is omitted; when I run the command
without the switch I am told only "Invalid flag".

What I want is to list these ports in fstab, so that the ports are
available upon boot.

A few hints would be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth :
First : this is on my 10.2 system.
You mentioned setserial, so you installed the package. This also
installs a boot-script, see /etc/init.d/setserial. I believe this
initialises your serial ports.
Did you reboot ? You could also run that startup script.
You say you need to mount them, I never heard of mounting serial ports.
Your software should do the necessary stuff to "open" them. Maybe try
minicom.
Regards,
Koebnraad Lelong.