Re: [opensuse] USB Modem, wvdial not redialing
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:51:30 -0500

El 2008-02-01 a las 00:56 +0530, umesh b escribió:

(You forgot to email to the list)

On Jan 30, 2008 6:27 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

I never buy modems with propietary software. Now you know why. >:-)

actually the modem was provided by the local telco..and the driver CD
was only for Win.. :-(
However being a USB modem i tried to use it in Linux. Its actually a
USB CDMA modem, ZTE make.. model AC8700

The fact is that, if the modem requires a driver, it is not a standard modem and you will have problems making it work under linux. I have no

Remember, Carlos, even plain-jane external modems that plug into
a traditional serial port require a "driver" in Windows...

if I were him, I would just try catting the /dev/whatever file
that the modem shows up as, and see if it responds.

Try some Hayes standard things, like:

ATD telephone_number_here # AT = Attention D=dial

If that works, then he should just try using it the same as
if it were plugged into /dev/ttyS0.

experience making such things work, because I don't want to use them: I'm fortunate to own a plain serial port external modem. But now and then people explain how they got their model working: search this list archive, the wiki pages, google... I'm sorry I can not give you more help.

The needed info will be the output of the command "hwinfo --modem", as root. That will tell you how linux sees it, perhaps the chipset, and just maybe, somebody knows something.