[opensuse] installation directory in python distutils?
  • From: Eike Nicklas <eike@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:44:06 +0100
Hello OpenSuse-Team,

[I hope, this is the correct mailing list, but I couldn't find one that
seemed to suit better.]

I am currently writing a small application in Python and use distutils
to distribute it. I tested the installation on different distributions
and it worked fine everywhere (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, even on
Windows), but on OpenSuse, I had the following problem:

I install an icon in setup.py with

setup(....., data_files = [('share/myapp', 'data/someicon.png')], ...)

According to http://docs.python.org/dist/node13.html this icon should
be installed to sys.prefix/share/myapp/someicon.png and I use this path
in my application to access the icon.

In OpenSuse, however, the icon (and all other files) are installed
under /usr/local, although sys.prefix is '/usr' and thus my application
gives an error, because the icon can not be found.

Of course, I could write a workaround and additionally
test /usr/share/... for the icon, but that would be quite an
unsatisfactory solution.

Is there a certain reason for this behavior? Why does OpenSuse behave
differently than most other distributions?

Thank a lot for your help,

Eike