Re: [opensuse] URGENT!! (and don't be angry for the Subject of this mail)
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:03:17 -0500
Sloan wrote:
Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

Montag, 28. Januar 2008 James Tremblay:

ON a positive note , all of us who use linux are helping simply by
not forcing new computers to have to made.

This notion keeps popping up among linux people. To actually verify it
I suggest you install opensuse 10.3 on a box that's 4 years old. You
will not be pleased.

I recently installed suse 10.3 on a compaq box made in 2002, which I'm
using as our firewall/dns/dhcp server. Naturally I nuked beagle, but
having done that it works and it works well. Before that, our
firewall/dns/dhcp server was an old compaq w/ Pentium III 500 and 9 GB
drive, running suse 10.1, which also worked quite well.

Joe

My firewall, currently running 10.0, is an 866 MHz P3 & 128 MB. I'll
have to see how well it handles an upgrade to 10.3.