Re: [opensuse] URGENT!! (and don't be angry for the Subject of this mail)
  • From: Mike <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:31:29 +0100
On Monday 28 January 2008 21:09, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
Montag, 28. Januar 2008 James Tremblay:
ON a positive note , all of us who use linux are helping simply by
not forcing new computers to have to made.

This notion keeps popping up among linux people. To actually verify
it I suggest you install opensuse 10.3 on a box that's 4 years old.
You will not be pleased.

Gee, that's odd. I've got it installed on an old dual AMD machine that I
bought about 4 years ago, and it runs fine. It runs a lot better than
the XP that was on it. I also installed it on an old AMD 1000 with less
than a gig of ram. Runs circles around XP.

Not that it's a bad thing that linux distributions keep aiming at the
moving target "hardware".

It's a good thing, but backwards compatibility is one of the things I
like best about linux. When all else fails, I can always get it running
when the winXX stuff dies.

Mike