Re: [opensuse] What is Lchown? (rsnapshot)
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:18:11 +0000

Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Sunday 2008-01-27 at 19:03 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Carlos E. R. <> [01-27-08 14:18]:
What on earth is that Lchown? I can't find it with pin. Could it be
"perl-lchown", which is not included in the distro?

look at:

http://anorien.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/opensuse/guru/packages/Libraries/perl-lchown/

I have also seen it in
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Archiving:/Backup/openSUSE_10.3

but I'm very hesitant and disgusted needing a non standard repo to use a
standard rpm.

(I'm trying to open a bugzilla, but the server is down)

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Unfortunately the underlying issue is a little worse (at least with
10.2). Try running cpan -O and you will begin to understand the problem.
Many of the SuSE 10.2 Perl module RPMs from packman are badly out of
date. The SuSE Perl stuff is a bit better but still lags (as would be
expected).

Only spotted problem when SuSE servers were down and was checking out
what I thought were issues with a Perl Module to find that my current
version of the module was 2 major releases out of sync.

I think in future I will probably maintain my Perl stuff from CPAN. (The
nuisance is that for compiled Perl modules one needs to install the
devel RPMs relevant to the module).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup