Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (3412 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse] antivirus
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:43:09 -0500
  • Message-id: <4795664D.1070900@xxxxxxxxxx>
John B Pace wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 10:36 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
John B Pace wrote:
So, it is like it used to be, Carlos? Really no need for antivirus
software?
Non-root users still don't have root abilities, so, no, of
course not.

Do downloaded files suddenly make themselves executable,
without you chmod'ing them?

The security model hasn't changed since 1970, BECAUSE IT
DOESN'T NEED TO BE!

Remember, the Unix security model was designed with the presumption
that ANY user might accidentally do something utterly stupid,
and so the whole system was designed to protect users from
each others' stupidity.


> Interesting that the windows machines are being protected
from themselve.
What cave have you been hiding in for the last 15 years?

> I assume some distros must be weaker than others? Or why
would clamav or antivir (Avira GmbH) been created.
To weed out Microsoft viruses.

Sheesh, John, name one Linux virus.

The last outbreak of malware in the *nix community was
over 20 years ago...and that was due to buffer overruns
(which have since been corrected) on hardware so obsolete
that you can't even find in operation any more (VAX-11
and Motorola 680x0 CPUs)

> I'm probably sticking
my foot in my mouth or worse my head where the sun doesn't bother
shining, but I'm really curious as to clamav and antivir. You don't have
to answer this if you don't want, Carlos. I can check it out! Thanks!
John
They're for the purpose of protecting Windows clients
from malware-infested Windows viruses.



> I can't recall any viruses, malware, but then I've probably
> only put 90 hours into linux altogether, which is why I
> introduced myself as an older dummy.

Oh, I see.

I thought you meant you used to use Unix way back a long time ago.

> What did you mean about being a non-root user.

The system administrators account is user ID 0, and by default,
named "root" ... you can change this, but it will cause problems
if a program checks the user name rather than the user ID number.

> I'm normally no-root except when I need to be in root. I

That's good. Never do anything as root unless you need to.

Even software that I grab off of websites, do all of my
downloading from my normal user account. I just use the
su command to change user ID to root just to install
the software, and then end the su session.

> see that you just came on board as far as downloaded files.
> That solution was taken care of a good deal of time ago this
> morning with some excellent answers. There were no "of course
> not." That phrase should be left out of conversation about
> discussing solutions. It sounds like old linux answers by
> those that think they may have something over the rest of us.
> I don't and won't put up with that crap. I don't need your

I misunderstood what you were saying in your original post.

I thought you mean "old linux user" as someone with
experience in this operating system from long ago,
not someone who is getting grey hair. My mistake.

> preaching with your capitalizing either. In fact, I don't
> need you disrespect at all, so keep it to yourself because
> I surely don't care what you say or what others say to
> my response.

No problem.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >