Re: [opensuse] Why are there not more using Linux?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:22:04 -0500
Jerry Houston wrote:
James Knott wrote:
Why is it that people have to learn Windows or Microsoft Office,
instead of how to use a computer or an office suite? Do you teach
your kids how to drive a Ford? Or how to drive a car? We should be
teaching skills, not products.

I love my kids too much to teach them to drive a Ford. <g>

But you let them run Windows.

Seriously, I don't think it's a valid comparison. Cars are designed to
be nearly universal, and those differences that exist (headlight,
cruise, heater controls, etc.) can be figured out in minutes. Operating
systems and the applications that run on them have much steeper learning
curves.

I'm not suggesting that kids should't be exposed to Linux. Or that it
shouldn't be their OS of choice (if it really is their choice). But
preventing them from learning anything about Windows and Microsoft
applications isn't doing them a favor.

Again, teach them the skill. It doesn't take a genius to find out how to do something in a new app, that they've already been doing. On the other hand, teaching people that the Microsoft way is the only way is doing them a great disservice.

You and I might prefer an open source world, but that's not the world
most of us live in, and have to earn a living in.

Well, I've used Linux, Windows, OS/2, DOS, VAX/VMS etc., over the years. I've also used Openoffice, Microsoft Office, Lotus Smart Suite, Describe, Wordstar 2000, Word Perfect and PC-Write (I even had a half day class on SuperCalc!). It's a matter of "This is what I want to do, how do I do it with this software?" Because I learn how to use tools, not what button to click, I don't have a problem moving to different software.

Bottom line. If you learn the skills, you'll have little problem in moving to other software. If you learn only how to use an app, you find it difficult to move to others. This happens in many areas, not just computers.