Re: [opensuse] Grub Error 21
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:31:47 -0600
Subject: Re:[opensuse] Grub Error 21
From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: SUSE Linux <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri 18 Jan 2008 10:09:11 EST

Dave Barton wrote:
I have just upgraded a PC for a colleague, who, after much badgering and
encouragement, conceded to have a dual boot install of OpenSUSE 10.3
on a second drive. Installed XP Pro on hd0, no problem. Created a
FAT32 partition on hd1 using 50% of the disk capacity, leaving
remainder unallocated for Linux partitions. Booted to the 10.3
installation DVD and the install to hd1, including on-line updates,
went perfectly, until the first reboot, where I get:

Though I don't recall the exact details, I had a similar problem last
year. IIRC, after booting with the CD and then boot installed system, I
went into Yast and changed where Grub started the installed SUSE from. I think I had to specifiy the actual partition or something like that.

Thanks for the quick reply James. I have been trying a number of different options in the GRUB configuration, but so far I have no luck. Without going through the install DVD, I continually come back to the Error 21 :(

Found this on google: (grub error 21)

It may help. If not, there are reams of other grub error 21 links

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961