Re: [opensuse] Grub Error 21
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:31:47 -0600
Subject: Re:[opensuse] Grub Error 21
From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: SUSE Linux <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri 18 Jan 2008 10:09:11 EST

Dave Barton wrote:
I have just upgraded a PC for a colleague, who, after much badgering and
encouragement, conceded to have a dual boot install of OpenSUSE 10.3
on a second drive. Installed XP Pro on hd0, no problem. Created a
FAT32 partition on hd1 using 50% of the disk capacity, leaving
remainder unallocated for Linux partitions. Booted to the 10.3
installation DVD and the install to hd1, including on-line updates,
went perfectly, until the first reboot, where I get:

Though I don't recall the exact details, I had a similar problem last
year. IIRC, after booting with the CD and then boot installed system, I
went into Yast and changed where Grub started the installed SUSE from. I think I had to specifiy the actual partition or something like that.

Thanks for the quick reply James. I have been trying a number of different options in the GRUB configuration, but so far I have no luck. Without going through the install DVD, I continually come back to the Error 21 :(

Regards

Dave

Found this on google: (grub error 21)

http://osdir.com/ml/boot-loaders.grub.bugs/2003-02/msg00080.html

It may help. If not, there are reams of other grub error 21 links

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC