[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-offtopic] Gates Predicts End of the Keyboard in Final CES Keynote
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:43:55 -0500
Billie Walsh wrote:
Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Fred A. Miller wrote:
Gates Predicts End of the Keyboard in Final CES Keynote
Like most of his predictions, this too will be wrong.

Did you see what Microsoft calls "surface" at last years CES? The
demonstration was pretty cool.

And will fail miserably in a the real-world, where people do
things like put coffee-cups, magazines, and other assorted
items on their tables.

> I'm sure such things are still a few years in the future but............

It's a ridiculously stupid idea to think that this sort
of thing will be in a coffee-table in every one's home

It's right up there with Clippy and BOB.

Then there's the Star Trek computer. Well.............maybe not quite
THAT computer but voice interface. I've never actually tried working
with it but I have seen demos of voice recognition software that were
WAY impressing. Of course these demos were done with people that were
used to the software and had spent the time to get it right. BUT, it's a
technology that IS possible and way easier than typing.

THEN, there's something that is still pretty much in the toy phase, but
looks like a REALLY neat toy. It's looks like an ink pen. You write on
paper then plug it into the computer and it puts what you wrote in a
document. I've seen it at Wal Mart at Christmas time. Sells for about
$80US. Name is "Fly...... " [ something ].

They've been on the market for several years now. That's an idea
that's actually useful and innovative.

I wouldn't count out the keyboard just yet but there are technologies
out there that could go a long way towards moving it to the back of the
desk. Also wouldn't say that the keyboard will ever go completely away.
When the high tech stuff breaks the keyboard will still work.

And more than that, among someone who is skilled, it's
far more reliable than voice recognition ever will be.
Fingers don't have drawls, twangs, or other vocal accents.