Re: [opensuse] Window Activation Options?
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:25:24 -0500
Jerry Houston wrote:
Somewhere or another, in all the possible configuration areas, there's
an option that activates windows when the mouse passes over them. (I'm
using KDE.) I must have thought it would be a good option to try, and I
vaguely remember turning it on, but now it's driving me mad.
After clicking where I want to insert text into an email message or an
editor, for example, I habitually move the mouse cursor away from there,
so it isn't included in the text I'm looking at.
If I accidentally move the mouse off the message and onto the
Thunderbird window behind it, say, then the main Thunderbird window is
activated, the message is deactivated, and I can't enter text until I
move the cursor back onto the message window. A similar thing happens
if I move the mouse cursor off the gedit window I'm using.

Normally, I just click the cursor where I want it, and
then move the mouse pointer to some place nearby in the
same window. This is actually VERY easy to do, even
with mouse sensitivity and acceleration set very high.

All you have to do is learn to not be so violent and
careless with how you handle your mouse.

As long as you have decent fine-motor control of your
fingers, "activate on mouse-over" is much nicer than
"activate on mouse click" -- the reason being that
you can move the mouse to another window, and type
in it, WITHOUT raising that other window to the top.

This can be very nice when doing several "cut&paste"
operations from one window to another.

Mere words can't express how annoying that is, and turning that option
off would be far preferable than forming new editing habits.

It's not your editing habits that are obstructing you here,
it's wild mouse habits.

Also, in many cases, you don't have to click on the EXACT
place that you want the mouse to be.

For example, if you want the mouse at the end of the line,
then ANY place to the right of the last letter will place
the cursor at the end of the line.

Trouble is, I can't find it again. I've looked everywhere I can think
of, and can't find any such option anywhere. Does anyone here recognize
the option I'm talking about, and remember where that is?

Personally, I can't remember myself, either.