Re: [opensuse] will pay for wireless help
  • From: James Gardner <jg189@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:14:11 -0500 (EST)
Here is some info I sent to another poster, but not to the whole board.
Without being overkill, it is a little bit about what I have loaded on the
machine and messages I see:

From yast, here is what I have put on the system:

madwifi-kmp-default 0.9.3.3_2.6.22.9_0.4-0.1 x86_64
madwifi 0.9.3.99-36 x86_64

When I boot, dmesg shows me this (among many other things)

ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
ath_hal: 0.9.18.0 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.3.3)
wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL
status 13)

Also, someone suggested I get a PCMCIA card and skip trying to fix the internal
adapter. Good idea. I had already bought a pcmcia card, only to subsequently
discover that I don't have a pcmcia slot. I have an expresscard slot that
looks exactly like a pcmcia slot. I guess that sounds stupid of me, and maybe
it is. But I don't mind admitting stupidity.

And someone else says this device isn't supported yet, which I suspected, but I
know there are people here who can do almost anything. That's why I offered to
pay. This is a work machine and I need wireless. But maybe it can't be done
in this case, but I really do appreciate the responses.

So if this card really can't be made to work. My other options are an
expresscard or a usb card. Do any of you have any experiences or suggestions
about either of those?

Regards,

James