Re: [opensuse] Backup scheduling
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:01:25 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2007-12-22 at 19:50 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:

On Saturday 22 December 2007 19:43:50 Jerry Houston wrote:
(1) SHOULD I be able to run crontab as a standard user? Do I need to
add my user account to a specific group in order to be able to do that?

Yes you should. If you run crontab -e as a normal user, it should let you edit
the crontab for that user

I suspect you have set your system's security level to paranoid or something,
which has removed the suid bit from crontab. Could that be correct?

If he does not have /etc/cron.allow nor /etc/cron.deny, he will be denied cron use as a user. The man page says:

If the cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed there in in
order to be allowed to use this command. If the cron.allow file
does not exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then you must not
be listed in the cron.deny file in order to use this command. If
neither of these files exists, only the super user will be allowed
to use this command.

And sure enough, I have an /etc/cron.deny:

guest
gast

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.