Re: [opensuse] Beagle under 10.3 is really eating up my CPU
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:35:16 -0500
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Saturday 22 December 2007 18:00:43 Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Saturday 2007-12-22 at 16:06 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:

[ulimit]

The real solution here is to find and fix the bug that causes beagle to
allocate so much memory. It doesn't happen on all systems.

When it happens, a bug should be opened, so that the developers can
investigate it. It shouldn't be hidden away by tricks like that, it
should be exposed so it can be solved once and for all
Actually, it helps solve it, sometimes. The application crashes, probably

I wouldn't say "probably". It shouldn't be par for the course for an application to not check return values from memory allocation functions

As I said earlier... the whole thing is poorly written.

Beagle should be scrapped and started over from the
ground up, starting with the design assumption that it
is to behave as an unobtrusive background process, not
the current one which can take over the whole system
with a "feed me" attitude as if the whole purpose for
a computer and its data to even exist is to provide
something for a beagle process to index.

Anders