Re: [opensuse] Beagle under 10.3 is really eating up my CPU
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:59:02 -0500
Joe Sloan wrote:
Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Joe Sloan wrote:

I have to fix the path to deal with the complaints of users who complain
that e.g. "ifconfig" isn't installed, or who maybe have to type a full
path for common commands. There's IMHO no reason a normal desktop user
shouldn't be able to run many commands which reside in /sbin or
/usr/sbin.

Unix has always been like that, too.

It used to be that many admin commands that are now in /sbin or
/usr/sbin used to be in /etc. And /etc was never in any user's
path except for root's.

I had to edit the paths even more extensively in hpux, solaris or aix -
in fact anything in /opt or /usr/local usually wasn't even in root's
path

AND THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
That's a security risk.

Root is for ADMINISTRATIVE use, not running apps.

- but I expect to spend time fixing things up to make those OSes

Hat to say it, but no, you were possibly introducing
security holes into those systems. Very few apps in
/opt or /usr/local are ever tested for safety under
root's UID.

work correctly.

Joe