Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse 10.2 - Fortran compilation very slow through NFS network with a 64bit server and 32bit clients.
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:44:31 +0000
M Harris wrote:
On Sunday 16 December 2007 18:54, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Perhaps file creation is a slow operation over nfs :-?
EVERYTHING is slower over NFS -- or any other network
connection -- by a factor of 100 or more.
Yes, and, NFS typically does not work very well across a wan.

In my experience NFS has worked very well over WANs. Obviously its speed
depends on the speed of the WAN but the protocol works reliably. In the
past, I've used it to run trading systems transatlantic over telephone
circuits, for example :)

Isn't NFS a udp stateless connection that does not guarantee ordering of
packets? Seems to me that if the connection is over a wan NFS is very slow or
maybe even non functioning because of packet delays and ordering problems do
to wan timing and routing. Does NFS work with tcp these days?

NFS makes specific guarantees about what it provides and doesn't provide
(and has some well-known deficiencies in some circumstances) but
ordering of packets over the network isn't a problem. And yes, either
TCP or UDP can be used.

<http://nfs.sourceforge.net/> is a good place to read more.

Cheers, Dave