Re: [opensuse] [OT] spreadsheet data exchange format?
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:47:46 -0500
On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Tuesday 2007-12-11 at 09:34 -0600, Bryen wrote:
A couple of months later, she called me complaining that OpenOffice
was too cumbersome and her daughter was complaining that she didn't
understand it because everything she learned in her elementary
school computer class taught MS Word. We had a little bit of a
heated discussion, and I told her that a) she can't afford MS
Office anyway and

That argument doesn't hold in some places, unfortunately. People here
are convinced Windows is free, as in beer, and if it doesn't come
included free, you just get a "pirate" copy from anybody. In the end,
free.

I simply can not convince anybody here to use linux or even OOo with
the price argument, I loose. Windows software is free. And, if you
are in a business, the boss pays, and as the boss is by definition
always rich, so it is of no consequence, it is free. And you can
borrow a copy for home, too.

:-(

The rest of the possible arguments are then moot. It is more
difficult, it doesn't have all the whistles, it is not serious, it is
not compatible (!), etc. The best argument in my armory, freedom and
zero license cost being useless to them, the rest is moot.

(Don't argue with me, I'm all for OOo... the problem is "them")

So I remain "the freak" of the group.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.