Re: [opensuse] rsync questions - backups - again !
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:25:20 +1030
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Joe Sloan wrote:
Rodney Baker wrote:
rsync --logfile=/var/log/home_backup -Ca /home/<username>
/backup/<username>.

This just compares each file in /home/<usersname> with its corresponding
file in /backup/<username> and copies any that are new or have changed,
resetting the archive bit for each file.

Not to nitpick, but actually, rsync is smarter than that - it only
copies the diff between the parts that have changed.

If your data to be backed up consists of 2 10GB files, and you make a
slight change (say 5 few kbytes) to each, rsync wouldn't copy 20 GB, but
rather just the changed 10 kb, plus a bit of overhead.

Joe

You're right - I remember reading that but I'd forgotten it. Thanks for the
clarification.